Based in Barcelona, Spain
STAY is a conversational adventure where we chat with Quinn, who has been locked in a dark room where there is nothing but a computer. He is in desperate need for help, and we are his only hope to get out of that place and discover who is behind his kidnapping. STAY is a combination of Lone Survivor and Lifeline, with a touch of Tamagotchi with emotional needs instead of physical ones. This experience is driven by the game: we can't control the character, but we can encourage him to do some actions or others based in our dialogue and the level of empathy achieved. In STAY everything happens in real time, meaning your time away from the game will be as relevant as your time in the game. Leaving him on his own for too long will affect not only his trust but his behaviour, until a point where he can eventually completely lose his mind... STAY features is a 24-chapter story with multiple twists, unlockable rooms and items to collect, multiple ways to die and secret puzzles, featuring dark-ish pixel art visuals and an intriguing soundtrack in classical music.
Games are usually based in giving users control and constant action. Contrary to that we want to encourage attention and patience, give users enough time to dig deep to their inner world, time to process, feel and think. In this story we will not be completely in charge. But sometimes you don't need another hero by your side...you just need someone that stays with you, far from the spotlight but ready to give you a hand. Everything is about staying ready, paying attention, and giving Quinn the right amount of hope, bravery or kindness every time he needs you. The strength of our presence and words, in a good or bad way, would become crucial. Are you there? Please STAY.
- 24-chapter story with multiple branches and 7 different endings.
- Interactive dialogue with flexible emotional bond.
- Real time experience.
- Mini-game puzzles with custom mechanics.
- Pixel art visuals.
- Classical music soundtrack.
- Dozens of unlockable locations and items.
- +40 different ways to die.
- Estimated 4-5 hours gameplay.
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Best International Game - TNISSF" Finalist, 2018
- "Best Story / Storytelling - GC Paris Game Development Awards" Nominated, 2017
- "Excellence in Narrative - BIC Fest" Finalist, 2017
- "Tokyo Game Show" Indie Game Area, 2017
- "Respawn Indie Game Expo" Official Selection, 2017
- "Global IMGA" Nomination list, 2017
- "Tokyo Indie Fest" Official Selection, 2017
- "Reversed Wien" Official Selection, 2017
- "Big Indie Pitch Gamescom" Runner Up, 2016
About Appnormals Team
Appnormals Team is an award-winning indie studio from Barcelona, Spain. Co-founded by long-term friends Inaki Diaz and Dani Moya, who respectively worked in multiple fields of design and coding for many years, the creative duo started a journey together because of their passion for pixel art and love for old school games. After releasing several casual mobile titles such as the acclaimed ‘Super Barista’, Appnormals is dedicated to developing genuinely innovative games across multiple platforms; titles which embrace the studio’s quest for original mechanics, unique premises and a hallmark retro look and feel.
More information on Appnormals Team, our logo & relevant media are available here.
STAY: Are you there? Credits
Art Director, Pixel Art
Ana Lopez Monteiro